- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons Alessi Ground Black Peppercorns
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Alessi Garlic Puree
- Alessi Sea Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons Alessi Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 2-2 1/2 pounds beef top round roast, excess fat trimmed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Alessi Double Concentrated Tomato PasteAdd
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Alessi Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
Preheat oven to 325. In a small bowl, combine peppercorns, brown sugar, garlic, and sea salt. Place beef in roasting dish and brush with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Rub with the peppercorn mixture. Add an instant read thermometer into thickest part of beef and bake until desired doneness.
(For medium rare, the thermometer should read 135, medium 145 and medium-well 155.)
Remove roast when meat has reached desired temperature, cover with foil and let rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent. Stir in tomato paste, Worcestershire, and balsamic vinegar until combined. Add wine and beef stock. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to simmer and cook until liquid is reduced by half, stirring occasionally.
Serve sauce alongside the roast.