Red Wine Spaghetti with Toasted Breadcrumbs
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 package Alessi Organic Spaghetti Alla ChitarraAdd
- 750 milliliters red wine
- 7 tablespoons Alessi Garlic PureeAdd
- 1/2 cup Alessi Seasoned Italian Style Bread CrumbsAdd
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Alessi Pine Nuts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Alessi Balsamic Capers
- 10 ounces grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons pitted Calamata olives, sliced
- 1 tablespoon coarsely crushed fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons Alessi Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- finely grated parmesan (for serving)
- lemon zest (for topping (optional))
- Alessi Sea Salt and Black Peppercorns, to taste
- Combine 5 TBS garlic puree and 3 Tbsp. oil in a small bowl. Heat a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot over medium; pour in garlic and oil. Add 1 TSP red pepper flakes and 2 Tbsp. butter; cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is very fragrant but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add wine, increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, until reduced by two-thirds, 20–25 minutes; season with salt. Cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a pot of salted boiling water, stirring occasionally, until very al dente, about 3 minutes shy of recommended cook time
- In a large large skillet over medium heat, brown the remaining 2TBS of garlic puree. Add the crushed fennel seeds, pine nuts, and 1 TSP red pepper flakes along with the bread crumbs and let heat together until the flavors meld.
- Drain the pasta, reserving the cooking water.
- Add pasta to sauce, along with 4 Tbsp. butter, balsamic capers, calamata olives, and grape tomatoes to pasta sauce. Set pot over medium heat and bring sauce to a simmer. Cook, tossing often, until pasta is well coated and sauce is thickened, about 3 minutes. Taste and season with more salt if needed. Drizzle with olive oil and add additional pasta water if moisture is needed.
- Divide pasta among bowls; top the pasta the toasted bread crumb mixture adding parmesan and lemon zest, if desired.