- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 18 ounces
- 1 28oz can Alessi Crushed Tomatoes
- 3/4 cups white sugar
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup Alessi White Balsamic ReductionAdd
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon jarred minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Alessi Sea Salt and Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 large white or yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Alessi Garlic PureeAdd
In a large bowl, mix tomatoes, sugar, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, balsamic reduction, lime juice, chili flakes, ginger, and cinnamon until evenly combined. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper.
In a shallow stockpot, heat butter over medium heat. Cook onion until soft and translucent then add garlic and remaining brown sugar; cook an additional 2 minutes.
Add tomato mixture to onions. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cook, while stirring often, for 45 minutes to an hour until mixture is thick and jam like. When desired consistency is reached, turn off heat and continue to stir for several minutes while it cools.
Let chutney cool completely before storing in a jar with a tight fitting lid in your refrigerator.
This tomato jam is excellent as a ketchup substitute, and can be used on your favorite sandwiches, grilled cheeses, and hamburgers or even on top of crackers with meats, cheese and various pâtés.