- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 20 mushrooms
- 1 1/2 pounds cremini (baby Bella) mushrooms (try to buy 20 uniformly-sized, medium-sized mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup marsala wine
- 2 tablespoons Alessi Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 cup fennel diced small (use white bulb cored and trimmed)
- 2 cups Tuscan kale, ribs removed and leaves chopped small (also called Lacinato kale)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 cup Alessi Italian Style Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Alessi Pine Nuts, chopped small
- 1/2 cup Alessi Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 teaspoon Alessi Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Alessi Black Peppercorns
• Topping • •
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons Alessi Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- Alessi Pine Nuts, to garnish each mushroom
Carefully remove the stems from mushrooms. The mushrooms should be about an ounce each, less when stem is removed. Dice the stems small and set aside.
Place mushroom caps opening side up in a baking dish and pour the marsala wine over each. Set this aside while you work on the stuffing.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large sauté pan heated to medium high heat, place one tablespoon of the olive oil.
Add the diced mushroom stems as well as the chopped fennel and sauté for 3 minutes stirring occasionally.
Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, the chopped kale and minced garlic and sauté for two additional minutes then remove from heat and set aside.
In a large bowl place bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, Alessi Pine Nuts, Alessi Sun Dried Tomato Pesto, salt, pepper and mascarpone cheese. Stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until well mixed.
Divided the filling between the 20 mushroom caps, pressing the filling into the mushroom cavity and mounding high. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes.
While mushrooms are baking, make topping by mixing the mascarpone cheese with the Alessi Sun Dried Tomato Pesto stirring until smooth. Place mixture in a pastry bag fitted with a small star tip and refrigerate until needed.
Transfer baked mushroom caps to a serving platter using a spoon to lift each one out. Allow to cool slightly, then use the pastry bag to add a rosette of topping to each mushroom. Add a final sprinkle of Alessi Pine Nuts over the top. Serve immediately.
Featured on: A Family Feast