- Prep Time:
- Total Time:
- 3 3/4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cups Alessi Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 3 tablespoons Alessi Balsamic ReductionAdd
- Using a large saucepan, add milk and heavy cream. Place over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot but not boiling. (Tip: Look for little bubbles to form around edge of pan.)
- Meanwhile, using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks and sugar for 4-5 minutes, or until tripled in volume. Reduce speed to medium-low and drizzle in olive oil and vanilla extract. Continue mixing until well combined.
- Next, add half of the milk in ¼ cup increments, mixing after each addition. Pour yolk mixture back into saucepan with remaining milk; stir until well combined. Heat over medium heat, stirring often, until mixture coats back of a wooden spoon. (Tip: The temperature should be ~175°F if you have a candy thermometer.)
- Push mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl. Press plastic wrap to top of bowl and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Transfer gelato into a smaller container and freeze until firm (~3 hours).
- Before serving, top with fresh strawberries and drizzle with balsamic reduction.
Featured on: Spiced, One Dash at a Time